Effective as of: 05.01.2016
Policy for Publication
Policy Number: INAD2016003
The American University of Armenia uses staff-produced images and video of campus life, events, ceremonies and other activities to advance the mission of the university.
The images are owned by the university and archived at medialibrary.aua.am. Access to this archive and the imagery contained within does not imply unlimited use nor release of copyright restrictions.
The images are available for non-commercial, news and event promotion and marketing only.
Prior approval of the Communications Department is required when either:
- the photograph or video is used for marketing collateral,
- the photograph or video is used for news or event promotion by an AUA unit other than the host unit,
- the photograph or video is digitally altered in any way except as noted under the section noted Acceptable below, or
- the photograph or video is used by an off-campus media outlet or publication.
The Communications Department reserves the right to withhold access to photographs and/or video if false representation is suspected or there are questions about intended usage.
Below are specific guidelines for acceptable and unacceptable use of photographs and video.
- Color and tonal correction, and technical touch-up of images for the purpose of color balance (removal of flaws--dust spots, scratches, digital noise, artifacts, etc). This does not include changing hair color, eye color, etc.
- Conversion of color image to black and white.
- Cropping is acceptable providing it does not change the perception of the photo.
- Use of photographs or videos for commercial use.
- Sale of photographs or videos in part or in total.
- Distribution of photographs or videos to the press or any external-to-AUA entity without prior approval of the Communications Department.
- Use of photographs or videos in non-news-related publications and websites without the prior approval of the Communications Department.
- Alteration of the photograph or video any kind except as noted in the Acceptable section above.
- Adding or deleting wording, artwork, or logos to objects in photographs or videos (changing wording on posters in photos)
- Use of photographs or videos on personal social media pages except as shared from AUA’s social media pages