Effective as of: 10.01.2020
Policy for Publication
Policy Number: LIBR2020006
The library cataloger makes the library materials readily accessible to all patrons by cataloging and classifying them by performing the following activities:
A. The creation of catalog records in Library Integrated System EOS.Web, including accurate bibliographic descriptions of the items, the provision of searchable access points (subject headings, author’s name, title and series entries) according to the Anglo American Cataloging Rules2, and classification according to the Dewey Decimal Classification system; exporting of bibliographic records and authorities from OCLC, revising and importing them to the library EOS.WEB System in addition to creating original records.
The machine-readable cataloging record (MARC) holdings reflect full-level description. The following reference sources are utilized by the Cataloger:
- Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, 2nd edition, 2002 revision
- RDA (Resource Description and Access), 2014 March
- Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) System, 22nd ed., 23rd ed. online.
- US MARC Holdings Forma
B. The maintenance of bibliographic records of the Library and departmental holdings. Departmental holdings are assigned a specific location.
C. The physical maintenance of print materials (bar-coding, call number labeling, safe protection, lamination, and in-house repair) of items to be used by the community.
D. The assignment of locations predetermined by the physical format of the item:
- Serials – Lower level library storage.
- Reference – Reference section
- Reserve Shelf - At the circulation desk.
- Electronic Media – Library server, circulation desk, and reading room.
- Online – Licensed databases.
- Textbooks – Library storage.
- Kit – Reading room.
- Old and Rare Books – Library Storage and reading room.