Effective as of: 04.26.2023
Policy for Publication
Policy Number: PRES2023Z
The purpose of this document is to describe the membership and functions of the Academic and Strategic Planning Council (hereinafter referred to as the “Council”) at the “American University of Armenia” Fund (hereinafter referred to as “AUA” or “University”). The purpose of the Council is to provide oversight of the academic and strategic planning processes of the University, including but not limited to identification of strategic priorities, areas and directions of educational and research development, establishment of new degree programs, international cooperation priorities, enhancement of facilities, and other items as identified by the Council or the Executive Team.
Standing members of the Council include:
- President (serves as Chair)
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Vice President of Operations / COO
- Vice President of Finance / CFO
- Vice President of Development
- Vice Provost for Integration
- Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Dean of the Zaven & Sonia Akian College of Science and Engineering
- Dean of the Manoogian Simone College of Business & Economics
- Dean of the Gerald & Patricia College of Health Sciences
- Dean of General Education
- Director, Acopian Center for the Environment
- Director of the Entrepreneurship & Product Innovation Center
- Director of the Turpanjian Center for Policy Analysis
- Director of the Center for Research in Applied Linguistics
- Director of the Zvart Avedisian-Onanian Center for Health Services Research & Development
- Director of the Paul Avedisian Center for Business Research & Development
- Director of Open Education
- Chair of the Faculty Senate
- Chair of the Staff Assembly
- Representative of the Student Council
The Executive Manager of the Office of the President will provide administrative support to the Council.
Invited members of the Council
- Depending on the topics of discussion, the Council may invite other members of the AUA community to join the meetings, should such a need arise.
Responsibilities of the Council include:
- Reviewing and recommending procedures regarding the strategic planning process
- Reviewing KPI (key performance indicator) development and how KPIs are measured
- Reviewing and recommending the prioritization of yearly thematic objectives
- Synthesizing and prioritizing inputs on action priorities and tactics submitted by strategic units based on institutional needs and capacity
- Initiating discussions and studies on key academic and administrative issues related to improvements of the yearly strategic process
- Recommending communication channels to ensure that appropriate sectors of the AUA community are engaged in discussion processes related to key institutional issues and initiatives
- Discuss issues and make recommendations related to the development of new academic programs and Open Education programs at the University
- Discuss issues and make recommendations related to tuition and academic fees
- Discuss and make recommendations on the rules used to select deans, program chairs, and academic staff
- Discuss and make recommendations on the direction of research and outreach activities on campus
- Discuss and make recommendations on incentives and tools to enhance engagement and success for education, research and outreach in AUA transdisciplinary and collaborative actions
- Develop and implement rules regarding the construction of ad hoc committees that may be formed to conduct research and develop recommendations related to the charge of the Council.
- The President (or designee) will serve as Chair of the Council. The Chair will not vote except to break a tie vote among other members.
- The meeting of the Council will be called by the President (or designee) on not less than 24 hours’ notice to the members of the Council. The format and the agenda of the meeting will be decided by the President (or designee). The quorum for a meeting of the Council is a majority of members in attendance. All decisions on recommendations are made by majority vote of the Council present at the meeting.
- Summary minutes will be approved by the Council and archived by the Office of the President.